Two landlord brothers in Dudley have been fined almost £3k after failing to provide a gas safety certificate to their tenants for eight years.
The local Health and Safety Executive investigated the brothers after the council could find no record of their property having a gas safety
******Whoops! Looks like this is an old post that isn’t relevant any more :/ ******
******Visit the blog home page for the most up to date news. ******
record, despite the fact that tenants were in occupation. When the tenants in residence were interviewed, they confirmed that they had never been given a gas safety certificate during their five-year tenancy.
Dangerous Appliances As well as failing to keep a gas safety record, the two landlords were also found guilty of continuing to provide two potentially dangerous gas fires to their tenants. It transpired that both gas fires had been previously condemned by the National Grid after a safety inspection following a report of a suspicious gas smell.
HSE Warning to Landlords In a statement made after the court hearing, the local HSE inspector was keen to remind other landlords that putting tenants’ lives at risk is not an acceptable practice.
“It is essential landlords have gas appliances inspected annually. Well- maintained appliances reduce the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and dangerous gas leaks. Gas safety records are a legal requirement and give tenants the peace of mind they deserve when it comes to the safety of the appliances in their homes. Landlords who fail to have their gas appliances checked annually will be investigated by the Health and Safety Executive and action will be taken where necessary.”
So if you are a landlord, make sure you maintain up-to-date gas safety records at all times.